Denfeld History

Fairmount School

Fairmount Elementary School opened in 1892 at 6715 Redruth St. It was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1909, reopening in 1910.

The school was believed to be named for a Civil War hero from Duluth.

Fairmount closed in 1977 and was sold in 1980 to Johnson-Wilson Building Co. for $60,500. The architectural firm of Damberg and Peck was hired to redesign the building into 16 apartments.

Fairmount Apartments opened in 1981 and continues to occupy the building.

Recent News

Over thirty years ago, Dick Gastler's habit of wearing a ratty old leisure suit to class caught fire in more ways than one.
More information >>

Follow Denfeld on Facebook
Read more >>