Longfellow School opened on Oct. 3, 1892. It served grades K-9 until
1915, then served as an elementary school until it closed in 1957.
According to the Board of Education Handbook, its students lived
in the area between 53rd Avenue West and Bay View Heights incline
railyard and west of 61st Avenue West.
The school was built on land purchased from Charles
E. Lovitt and Basil D. Brown at 6015 Elinor St. Designed by Emmet
Palmer, Lucien Hall and William Hunt, the building had 12 rooms
with 504 seats. Its five-story square bell tower could be seen for
The school was demolished in 1959.