Merritt Elementary School was built in 1911, with additions in 1916
and 1921. It was named after Jerome Merritt, Duluth's first school
The school, located at 40th Ave. W. & Fifth St., closed in 1993
and was sold to a private developer for rehabilitation into apartments.
Over thirty years ago, Dick Gastler's habit of wearing a ratty old leisure suit to class caught fire in more ways than one.
More information >>
Follow Denfeld on Facebook