Denfeld Municipal Pipe Organ
The Denfeld Municipal Pipe Organ was purchased
in 1926 from the St. Paul Capitol Theatre for $25,000. It was officially
dedicated on June 14, 1927, by St. Paul’s Hugh Goodwin.
It is a Kilgen Pipe Organ with 37 ranks of pipes
and five percussion stops within its walls. Each rank has a series
of pipes that give the organ its sound; there is one pipe for each
note on the keyboard. Each rank can be played alone, or with other
ranks. The organ has six divisions: swell, great, choir, echo, pedal
The pipes that give the organ its sound are behind
the Denfeld Auditorium’s stage archways, and one is in the
back of the auditorium. The sound of the organ is produced from
a compressor in the basement, which pushes air through the pipes.
Famous organists such as Virgil Fox and E. Power
Biggs have played the Denfeld Municipal Pipe Organ.
Three divisions of the organ were no longer operable
by 1999: echo, percussion and choir. A group called ADOPT (A Denfeld
Organ ProjecT) is raising funds to restore the organ.