The Pride of Western Duluth
Denfeld is Western Duluth's first high school, though it
wasn’t always called Denfeld. The first classes were held
at Irving School, 101 N. 56th Ave. W., on Sept. 11, 1905. For several
years it was known as Duluth Industrial High School.
When United States Steel announced its intentions
to build the Morgan Park neighborhood as a planned community for
its steel plant, the Duluth School Board spent $175,000 to build
a new, independent high school. In 1915, Robert E. Denfeld High
School opened at 725 N. Central Ave.
The building currently serving as Denfeld High
School opened at 4405 W. Fourth St. on Sept. 8, 1926. It cost $1.25
of Denfeld History Topics